William Hornby's Bio
PRESENTATION: The Power of Becoming the Advocate You Needed
1. Gain a deeper understanding of the ways diet culture, anti-fatness, healthism, and morality influence the development of eating disorders.
2. Understand the importance of intersectional representation in advocacy and in all walks of life.
3. Examine the responsibilities that come with having a platform and influence.
4. Feel inspired to become the advocate they once needed and/or feel compelled to support the work of other people who have done so.
PRESENTATION: Eating Disorders and Identity: Gender, Sexuality, and Size
1. Gain a deeper understanding of the nuances of social, systemic, and medical identity-based environmental factors.
2. Examine the role morality plays in eating disorder development.
3. Learn how to combat the development of eating disorders due to these social and systemic factors.
4. Learn how to identify identity-based discrimination and harmful habits within themselves and others.
PRESENTATION: A Career in Social Media Advocacy (Nonprofit and For-Profit)
1. Learn about the value of networking through William's own testimonial.
2. Explore the way social media algorithms work.
3. Understand the dos and don'ts of content creation for an organization.
4. Learn how to build a business as a consultant in content creation and social media strategy.
As a licensed eating disorder clinician, I am consistently blown away by the expertise, nuance, and wisdom that William Hornby brings to his advocacy and education work around eating disorders, social justice, and all the intersections therein. His thinking is clinically sound and his unique voice is urgently needed in this field. I’m so grateful he continues to spend his time and efforts striving to make the eating disorder community safer and more equitable for everyone affected by food and body struggles, rather than the exceptional few who fit the stereotype.
William Hornby is definitely an important voice that we have been missing. By sharing his truth and lived experience, he is not only creating important and impactful conversations, but he is also letting people know that they are not alone. I am so grateful for his honesty, bravery, and willingness to shatter the stigma surrounding mental health and eating disorders.
Members of my community left feeling empowered with new tools and language to be better advocates in the recovery space and in their own lives! I highly recommend working with William as he has stellar public speaking skills and passion for the subjects he speaks about.
William gave an excellent presentation on being an advocate for fellow team members in the workplace. His vibrant presence and informative topics left the entire Diversity and Inclusion committee with enthusiastic and positive reviews!"