Dr. Louis M. Profeta's Bio
Dr. Louis M. Profeta is a nationally recognized, award-winning writer, TED Talk speaker, and Emergency Physician at St. Vincent Hospital of Indianapolis, a level 1 trauma center. He has cared for more than 60,000 patients. He is the best-selling author of the critically acclaimed book The Patient in Room Nine Says He’s God
. He is a dynamic and sought-after public speaker and frequent guest on TV and radio. He has gained critical acclaim for his poignant essays and writings for LinkedIn Pulse Magazine on topics such as our national heroin crisis in When the Lion Kills Your Child
, end-of-life care in I Know You Love Me Now Let Me Die
, and dozens of similar essays. In 2015, 2016, and 2017 he was named LinkedIn Top Voice for readership in health care. His scathingly sarcastic but passionate essay Your Kid and My Kid Aren’t Playing in the Pros
was honored as one of the best articles on sports by the Society of Professional Journalism. In 2018, he was honored by the National Society of Newspaper Columnists for outstanding contribution to online media. His essays entitled A Sunday Talk on Sex, Drugs, Drinking and Dying
and A Very Dangerous Place for a Child is College
may be the most read and shared essays in history on the topic of drugs, sexual assault, and alcohol abuse on college campuses, having been read by millions. His 2018 essay I’ll Look at Your Facebook Profile Before I Tell Your Mother You’re Dead
has become one of the most read articles in the world on social media.
Following the success of A Sunday Talk on Sex, Drugs, Drinking and Dying
, Dr. Profeta has been invited to speak all over the country on this topic. Dr. Profeta has told hundreds of parents their children have been killed over his career and he brings this reality to campuses across America. Some have described this as the most brutal, realistic, and impactful presentation ever given on the topic. He is rapidly becoming recognized as one of the most widely read opinion essayists in America today, including LinkedIn Top Voice in Health Care in 2020.
A Sampling of Where He Has Spoken:
Miami of Ohio
University of Missouri
University of Texas
West Virginia University
Randolph Macon College
Sigma Alpha Mu National Convention
Theta Chi National Convention
Lambda Chi Alpha National Convention
Pace Academy Atlanta Georgia
University of Arizona
Risk Management on the Road Conference
In addition, Dr. Profeta has spoken at numerous high schools, parents’ organizations, fraternities and sororities, and college athletic teams, and major medical conferences on the issues of drugs, alcohol, and sexual assaults on college campuses.
Following the presentations for students, Dr. Profeta stays for question-and-answer sessions, usually with administrators out of the room, in order to give the students an open opportunity to ask questions in a safe environment. The inquiries are chilling and cast a light on where the disconnect is for these students.
• He routinely exposes the gaps in their education in regards to drugs and alcohol.
• Educates them in the actual biology and physiology of these agents.
• Exposes the pitfalls of sharing, mixing, or abusing prescription and over-the-counter medications.
• Educates them to the dangers of edible marijuana compounds.
• Exposes them to the innate risk of just “watching” a friend who is under the influence.
• Uncovers the urban myths and legends surrounding these compounds.
• Offers them suggestions in responsible drinking, both for the individual and in a social setting.
• Focuses on the responsibility to each other in ensuring the safety of the group.
• Educates the students in regards to the emergence of complex mental health issues in the college setting.
• Discusses hazing and behaviors meant to humiliate or belittle an individual.
• Discusses behaviors that put students at risk of being sexually assaulted or at risk of being a victimizer in their own right.
• Discusses the devastation they will leave in their wake should they be killed or should they have a part in the death of another student.
Obviously, his own career path and experiences, and his ability to connect on their level is a reason this talk works. In addition, with every presentation he exposes the fluid nature and ever-changing risks as new designer drugs hit the streets, or novel delivery methods of alcohol and drug abuse or discovered.
Read his large conference feedback scores and comments by clicking here:
Dr. Louis Profeta Reviews