PRESENTATION: From TRIO to Everywhere - Paving YOUR Path to Generational Change
TRIO students are inundated with numerous methods to be successful in college while navigating the complexities of a new environment, social relationships, and learning along the way. Choices about balancing academics, leadership, and campus life are equally broad and varied. This interactive session will challenge participants to design a consistent approach to campus engagement, classroom discourse, and personal interactions that is robust with substance and strategy, yet attentive to personal style. Attendees will be engaged to look introspectively at strengths and opportunities to grow, while building an individual success strategy that will flourish in the campus community and for the duration of their career after college.
Learning Outcomes Student participants will leave with increased knowledge of the following:
• Familiarity with current perceptions about transition to college within a residential and university setting;
• Recognizing elements of personal responsibility, life habits, and leadership capacity that impact the campus experience;
• Strategies to engage in dialogue and apply listening skills that enhance classroom learning and social involvement that are applicable along the path to graduation; and
• Impact of student success strategy on career trajectory within university system and after degree completion.
• To provide pertinent approaches to engage and influence personal success from a lens of learning, thoughtfulness, and productivity;
• To empower attendees with tools to develop a personal and individualized student success strategy;
• To share trends about college transition that increases sense of belonging and connection on campus; and
• To identify pertinent strategies to assess and maintain academic and social success for every student with, or without, a flashy title.
About the Presenter:
Dr. Jason L. Meriwether is a proud TRIO alum. His experience in Educational Talent Search put him on the path to finishing high school, graduating from college, and earning a doctoral degree. Being a TRIO alum motivates Jason to connect with TRIO students and have honest, personal, and sincere conversation about college, life, and creating generational change for each student’s family. Jason is an experienced higher education leader who has led Enrollment Management, TRIO programs, Student Affairs, and NCAA & NAIA Athletics.