PRESENTATION: Raving Fans: Cultivating Allies On and Off Campus for Greek Life
The proliferation of negative news has impacted Greek recruitment efforts and caused some chapters to lose their charters. It’s time to proactively cultivate the right fans on and off campus to promote and preserve Greek Life. This workshop will teach students how to build and sustain alliances with influential campus leaders and staff, how to cultivate parents as advocates and spokespersons for Greek Life, and how to garner support from civic and community leaders. The workshop will also highlight some of the core messages that Greek Life organizations need to purposefully communicate to build and sustain positive public perception.
This interactive session will include lecture, group brainstorming, group sharing and a small group exercise. Students will be challenged to consider how their chapter/council can be more proactive and strategic in building alliances to promote and preserve Greek Life. The session will include a small group exercise in which students will share current strategies used by their chapter/conference to cultivate fans both on and off campus. These strategies will be shared in a large group facilitated discussion. The presenter will also offer case study examples and best practices.
The goal of this workshop is for students to be purposeful and proactive in building a fan base for Greek Life among campus leaders and staff, parents and other key external influencers.
1. Discuss prevailing perceptions of Greek Life and how/why we need to actively work to change them.
2. Identify the leaders on campus who must be our allies.
3. Collectively learn from one another about the strategies that are working effectively to cultivate fans.
4. Highlight strategies and case studies that work best to cultivate on campus fans.
5. Discuss the power of parents and how to harness their influence to positively impact public perception.
6. Brainstorm a list of the influencers outside of campus who need to know the truth about Greek Life and discuss how we can educate and involve them in our chapter/council to reinforce positive messaging.
7. Presentation will also highlight the importance of and selection of individuals to serve on the PR Committee.